What is phlebotomy?

Phlebotomy is the withdrawal of blood from a vein, usually in your arm, for transfusion, diagnostic testing, research or donation. A phlebotomist is the person who draws the blood and is trained in the safe handling of blood, the correct way to label blood samples, and proper techniques of blood drawing.

There are many national certification agencies that provide phlebotomy training courses around the country that certify individuals to become phlebotomists, also known as phlebotomy technicians. Among those agencies are the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians, the National Phlebotomy Association, American Medical Technologists and the American Society for Clinical Pathology. Phlebotomists typically work in doctor's offices, medical laboratories and hospitals.

Continue Learning about Phlebotomy

What is a phlebotomy for cancer treatment?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
A phlebotomy is a procedure that will remove a specific amount of blood. Two common reasons for ...
When should I contact my doctor after I undergo a phlebotomy for cancer?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
A phlebotomy is a procedure that will remove a specific amount of blood. Two common reasons for doin...
What should I expect after I undergo a phlebotomy for cancer treatment?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care