Why is there a black box warning for Yervoy?

Yervoy (ipilimumab) has a "black box" warning from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration because some of its side effects are serious. They include inflammation of the intestines, liver, skin, hormone-producing glands and/or eyes. In some cases, a reaction to the medication may lead to paralysis and even death. If you experience any signs or symptoms of side effects, contact your healthcare provider immediately.

Signs that may signal serious problems include:
  • diarrhea, loose stools or stomach pain
  • yellowing of the skin or eyes
  • tea-colored urine
  • nausea and/or vomiting
  • easy bleeding
  • pain on the right side of the stomach
  • skin rashes, peeling or blistering
  • mouth sores
  • numbness or tingling in the limbs or face
  • blurry or double vision
  • eye redness or pain
  • headaches
  • tiredness
  • dizziness
  • weight gain
  • changes in mood or thinking

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

What Is CBD and Why Are so Many People Using It?
From vitamin store oils to online foot creams, cannabidiol (CBD) can be found just about everywhere these days, in a stunning array of products—and mi...
Will I gain weight if I stop taking prescription stimulants?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Weight gain is often a problem when people stop taking stimulants. If you're overweight or have ...
Can I take pain medicines with Procardia to help with pain?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes. But be sure to clear this with your doctor so that he/she can monitor you for blood pressure ch...
What are the Most Common Prescription Drugs That Cause Side Effects?