What should I avoid while using water for injection?

While preparing an intravenous (IV) solution with water for injection, avoid contaminating the solution with unsterilized equipment or hands. An infection due to an IV injection can spread very easily through the bloodstream. Do not use the water or medicine if either is discolored or contains visible particles. Also, avoid injecting your solution carelessly, as well as taking doses of medication in a series connection. This can cause tiny air bubbles to get into the bloodstream, which can form blood clots that block smaller veins and prevent the flow of blood from reaching an area of the body.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

What Is CBD and Why Are so Many People Using It?
From vitamin store oils to online foot creams, cannabidiol (CBD) can be found just about everywhere these days, in a stunning array of products—and mi...
What should I know about Stribild before taking it?
Your doctor will need to do blood and urine tests before starting treatment. You will need to be tes...
Are generic drugs as safe as name-brand medications?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Over the past several years, the FDA has found manufacturing problems at some of the factories t...
What are the Most Common Prescription Drugs That Cause Side Effects?