When should I call my doctor if I am taking Xtandi?

You should call your doctor if you are taking Xtandi (enzalutamide), a prescription medication used to treat metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer, if any of these side effects are severe or don't go away:
  • seizure
  • unconsciousness
  • falls
  • fatigue
  • weakness in your muscles
  • joint pain
  • back pain
  • diarrhea
  • upper or lower respiratory infection
  • blood in your urine
  • hot flashes
  • swelling in your feet, lower legs or ankles
  • headache
  • dizziness
  • inability to sleep
  • cauda equina syndrome (compression of nerve roots in the lower spinal cord)
  • a feeling of tingling, numbness or burning on your skin
  • high blood pressure
  • anxiety
You should also notify your doctor if your partner becomes pregnant while you are taking Xtandi or if you and your partner want to have a baby.

Call your doctor if you want or need to start taking another drug or supplement. A number of drugs and supplements can interact with Xtandi, possibly increasing the risk of side effects or making Xtandi less effective.

If you want to stop taking Xtandi, talk to your doctor first.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

What Is CBD and Why Are so Many People Using It?
From vitamin store oils to online foot creams, cannabidiol (CBD) can be found just about everywhere these days, in a stunning array of products—and mi...
Are generic drugs as safe as name-brand medications?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Over the past several years, the FDA has found manufacturing problems at some of the factories t...
What are the side effects of statin drugs?
John M. Kennedy, MDJohn M. Kennedy, MD
Side effects of statin drugs include muscle weakness and inflammation, as well as liver inflammation...
What Is an International Unit?
What Is an International Unit?