When should I call my doctor if I am taking Vascepa?

While taking Vascepa (icosapent ethyl), a prescription fish oil treatment for high triglycerides, let your doctor know if you have joint pain that doesn't go away. Pain in the joints is the most common side effect of Vascepa. If you have other symptoms that you think may be related to the drug, tell your doctor.

If you become pregnant, suspect you are pregnant or want to get pregnant, or if you're breastfeeding or considering it, call your doctor. It is not known whether Vascepa may cause harm to a developing fetus or nursing baby.

If you want or need to take a new medicine (prescription or nonprescription) or supplement, call your doctor.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
Why can't more beneficial substances be made into drugs?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
An abundance of naturally occurring substances with significant potential healing powers have not ye...
What is a generic name?
Generic name drugs contain the same active ingredients that name-brand drugs contain and are FDA-app...
What's the Difference Between a Brand-Name Drug and a Generic Drug?