When should I call my doctor if I am taking Stribild?

If you're taking Stribild (elvitegravir, cobicistat, emtricitabine and tenofovir), a prescription medicine used to treat human immunodeficiency virus-1 (HIV-1), you should call your doctor if you experience severe side effects. These might include:
  • changes in the way your body fat is distributed. You may develop more fat in your upper back and neck, breasts and trunk, and less fat in your face, arms or legs.
  • immune system changes
  • kidney problems, including kidney failure
  • bone problems, such as pain in your bones or thinning or softening of your bones (which could result in fractures)
  • a buildup of lactic acid in your blood (lactic acidosis). Symptoms include difficulty breathing, abdominal pain, vomiting, nausea, weakness, fatigue, muscle pain, coldness in your legs or arms, irregular heartbeat or feeling lightheaded.
  • liver problems. Symptoms include nausea, abdominal pain, lack of appetite, dark urine, light-colored stools or yellowing of the whites of your eyes or your skin.

Lactic acidosis and some severe liver problems can be fatal. Death is more likely in patients who are female, obese or have been taking Stribild or a similar drug for some time.

Call your doctor if you want to start another prescription medication or supplement. Stribild can change the effectiveness of some medications, and some medications can change the effectiveness of Stribild. Interactions can also increase your risk for severe side effects.

If your prescription for Stribild is running out, be sure to get a new one from your doctor. If you stop taking Stribild for even a few days, the virus might become more difficult to treat.

You should also call your doctor if you're taking Stribild and you become pregnant, want to become pregnant or want to nurse your baby.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Why Some Infections Are Getting Harder to Treat
Penicillin ushered in the antibiotic era when it was discovered in 1928. Now, many experts are worried that we may be entering a post-antibiotic era, ...
What is a generic name?
Generic name drugs contain the same active ingredients that name-brand drugs contain and are FDA-app...
What are cell receptor sites?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Every cell in your body has thousands of locations on its surface that serve as "mini" sense org...
What Is an International Unit?
What Is an International Unit?