What should I know about Vascepa before taking it?

Before taking Vascepa (icosapent ethyl), a prescription fish oil treatment for high triglyceride levels, you should know that it works best when used along with a healthy diet and exercise. Before you start taking it, you should tell your doctor about all your other medicines (prescription and over-the-counter), as well as any supplements you take. Be sure to let him or her know if you take a blood thinner or other medicines that affect blood clotting. Your doctor might switch or adjust these drugs so Vascepa will work better. Discuss potential risks with your doctor.

Give your doctor a complete medical history before starting Vascepa. Be sure to mention if you have an allergy to fish or shellfish. If you have liver problems, your doctor may monitor your liver enzymes during treatment.

Take Vascepa exactly as directed. Swallow the pill whole. Do not crush, dissolve or chew it.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
Can I take Neurontin with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, but check with your doctor or pharmacist on possible interactions. Generally, neurontin won't s...
What should I know before taking phentermine and topiramate?
Women who might be pregnant need a pregnancy test before starting treatment. If you are pregnant, pl...
What's the Difference Between a Brand-Name Drug and a Generic Drug?