What should I know about Onfi before my child takes it?

Your doctor may prescribe Onfi (clobazam) for your child if she's over 2 years old to treat a form of epilepsy called Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. It won't cure your child's condition, but it will make it more manageable by calming the abnormal electrical activity in her brain that causes seizures, reducing their frequency.

The medication comes in tablet form to be taken once or twice a day with or without food. If your child has trouble swallowing pills, you can crush the Onfi tablet and mix it with applesauce to make it easier for her to take.

You should be aware of the possible side effects that your child may experience while taking Onfi, including trouble sleeping, fatigue, fever, drooling, constipation, cough, urinary tract infection, aggression, upper respiratory tract infection, irritability, vomiting, problems swallowing, problems with coordination, bronchitis, pneumonia, difficulty breathing, skin rashes, blistering or itching. Be prepared to call your doctor at the first sign of any of these symptoms.

Animal studies show that at high doses Onfi may affect normal growth and development. More study is needed to understand this problem, so you may want to discuss it with your child's doctor.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Watch Out for Bad Medication Chemistry
Watch Out for Bad Medication Chemistry
Babe Ruth on team chemistry: “The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world...
What are the most common prescription drugs that cause side effects?
Suzy  CohenSuzy Cohen
Common prescription drugs that cause side effects include acid-blockers, corticosteroids and bir...
Can I take Lyrica with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, you can. But make sure your doctor and pharmacist know all of your medicines you take and any h...
What's the Difference Between a Brand-Name Drug and a Generic Drug?