What should I know about Onfi before taking it?

You will take Onfi (clobazam) once or twice a day to treat a severe form of epilepsy called Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. It's a tablet you can take with or without food, and that can be crushed and mixed with applesauce if you have trouble swallowing. There is a risk of dependency on Onfi, especially at high doses and in people with a history of drug abuse. And like other anti-epileptic drugs, Onfi may lead to suicidal thoughts or behaviors. (This happens in about one in every 500 people.)

Onfi may reduce the effectiveness of some hormonal birth control methods. Talk to your doctor about the best way to prevent pregnancy while taking Onfi.

You should not stop taking Onfi abruptly: This may cause serious withdrawal symptoms, including severe seizures.

Onfi can cause potentially life-threatening skin reactions. Tell your doctor immediately if you develop a rash, blistering or peeling of the skin, sores in the mouth, or hives. Do not stop taking Onfi without first talking to your health care provider. Stopping Onfi suddenly can cause serious withdrawal problems, such as seizures that will not stop, hallucinations, shaking, nervousness, and stomach or muscle cramps.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
How do cholesterol test strips work?
Cholesterol test strips are used to measure the cholesterol level in blood to provide cholesterol mo...
What are the benefits of statin drugs?
Dr. David B. Agus, MDDr. David B. Agus, MD
Statin drugs do much more than just lower cholesterol. In this video, cancer specialist and author D...
What's the Difference Between a Brand-Name Drug and a Generic Drug?