What is Xalkori?

Xalkori, which is also called crizotinib, is a drug that treats non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) after it has spread to other parts of the body.

Before Xalkori is prescribed, patients take a test to determine if they have changes in a certain gene, the anaplastic lymphoma kinase gene. The drug attacks the proteins produced by these mutations, so it's given only to those who test positive -- an estimated at 1% to 7% of NSCLC sufferers.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Watch Out for Bad Medication Chemistry
Watch Out for Bad Medication Chemistry
Babe Ruth on team chemistry: “The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world...
What are the effects of prescription stimulants?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Stimulants boost alertness, attention, and energy. They also ward off sleep and suppress appetit...
How do I know if Saxenda is right for me?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Saxenda is a newer type of weight loss drug. It is in a class of medications called glucagon-like pe...
What's the Difference Between a Brand-Name Drug and a Generic Drug?