What is troglitazone?

Troglitazone is no longer available in the United States.

Troglitazone was a prescription medication used to reduce the amount of sugar your body makes and help your body better respond to insulin. This medication was discontinued in 2000 because of the unnecessarily harmful effects it has on the liver. The FDA found that two similar drugs, rosiglitazone and pioglitazone, have the same benefits without this risk to the liver. When it was on the market, troglitazone was part of the drug class of antihyperglycemic agents and was available by brand names Rezulin and Prelay. This medication was used as treatment by people with type II diabetes.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

What Is CBD and Why Are so Many People Using It?
From vitamin store oils to online foot creams, cannabidiol (CBD) can be found just about everywhere these days, in a stunning array of products—and mi...
Will I gain weight if I stop taking prescription stimulants?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Weight gain is often a problem when people stop taking stimulants. If you're overweight or have ...
What should I know before taking phentermine and topiramate?
Women who might be pregnant need a pregnancy test before starting treatment. If you are pregnant, pl...
What Is an International Unit?
What Is an International Unit?