What is tacrine?

Tacrine is no longer available in the U.S.

Tacrine is a drug that works on the central nervous system to reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease. Tacrine belongs to a class of drugs called cholinesterase inhibitors. The medication works by slowing down the breakdown of acetylcholine (ACh), an important chemical messenger in the brain. ACh helps with thinking ability and other brain functions. As Alzheimer's disease progresses, levels of ACh decrease in the brain and tacrine may have less of an effect. Tacrine is available in capsule form and goes by the brand name Cognex.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
What are the most common prescription drugs that cause side effects?
Suzy  CohenSuzy Cohen
Common prescription drugs that cause side effects include acid-blockers, corticosteroids and bir...
What is Stribild?
Stribild is one of the preferred drug regimens for people who have not yet taken drugs to treat HIV....
What's the Difference Between a Brand-Name Drug and a Generic Drug?