What is Sumycin?

Sumycin is no longer available in the United States.

Sumycin is a brand-name drug containing the active ingredient tetracycline. Like all antibiotics, Sumycin is used to treat bacterial infections by killing the bacteria causing the infection. Doctors generally prescribe it to treat bacterial infections affecting the urinary tract or respiratory system and to treat some sexually-transmitted infections, such as chlamydia and gonorrhea. It may also be prescribed to treat acne.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
What are cell receptor sites?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Every cell in your body has thousands of locations on its surface that serve as "mini" sense org...
What is Stribild?
Stribild is one of the preferred drug regimens for people who have not yet taken drugs to treat HIV....
What are the Most Common Prescription Drugs That Cause Side Effects?