What is procyclidine?

Procyclidine is no longer available in the United States.

Procyclidine, also known by the brand name Kemadrin, is a prescription medication that treats Parkinson's disease symptoms. Procyclidine is an anti-cholinergic agent. The medication stops muscle spasms by relaxing smooth muscles. This helps relieve the uncontrolled muscle movements, weakness, stiffness, and slowed movement characteristic of Parkinson's disease. It may also be used to treat movement problems and drooling caused by mental illness medications.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
Will I gain weight if I stop taking prescription stimulants?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Weight gain is often a problem when people stop taking stimulants. If you're overweight or have ...
What drives the sale of statin drugs?
Joseph Saseen, PharmDJoseph Saseen, PharmD
Four statins are generically available (atorvastatin, pravastatin, simvastatin, rosuvastatin, lovast...
What Is an International Unit?
What Is an International Unit?