What is Pancrecarb?

Pancrecarb is no longer available in the United States.

Pancrecarb is the brand name for the generic drug known as pancrelipase. Pancrecarb restores the natural digestive conditions to the intestines of those who have problems digesting food. Pancrecarb is made up of a delayed release capsule that is filled with tiny enteric coated microspheres that contain buffered pancreatic enzymes. Lipase, amylase, and protease are the enzymes that will aid in the digestion of fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. The enteric coating keeps the enzymes from breaking down too early in the stomach and allows the Pancrecarb to accomplish its function in the duodenum.

Pancrecarb is given to people who have exocrine pancreatic enzyme insufficiency, which can occur with conditions such as cystic fibrosis or chronic pancreatitis. Those who have just had a pancreatectomy or gastrointestinal bypass surgery are also candidates for Pancrecarb. This medication is available by prescription only.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
Can I take Neurontin with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, but check with your doctor or pharmacist on possible interactions. Generally, neurontin won't s...
What are appetite suppressants?
Gretchen M. Bosacker, MDGretchen M. Bosacker, MD
Appetite suppressants work by altering levels of certain chemicals in the brain, mainly serotonin. W...
What's the Difference Between a Brand-Name Drug and a Generic Drug?