What is Mithracin (plicamycin)?

Mithracin (plicamycin) is no longer available in the United States.

Mithracin (plicamycin) is a drug that treats testicular cancer and can be used to treat the hypercalcemia   (elevated blood calcium levels) associated with some late stage cancers. It slows the spread of cancer cells within the body. It should be administered by a doctor or other healthcare professional in a hospital. However, the brand name Mithracin is no longer available in the United States.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

When Good Meds Do Bad Things
When Good Meds Do Bad Things
Running back Jerome “The Bus” Bettis played in the NFL for 13 seasons (a Super Bowl win with the Steelers) and landed in the Hall of Fame—all done whi...
What are the side effects of the MDP Multidose Kit of Technetium Injection?
MDP Multidose Kit of Technetium Injection, when used with sodium pertechnetate Tc99m injection, has ...
Will I gain weight if I stop taking prescription stimulants?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Weight gain is often a problem when people stop taking stimulants. If you're overweight or have ...
What's the Difference Between a Brand-Name Drug and a Generic Drug?