What is the measles vaccine?

The measles vaccine is a live virus vaccination administered to induce immunity to the measles virus infection. Measles is a viral infection that can cause minor and major health problems. Minor problens include: temporary skin rashes, cough, runny nose, eye irritation and mild fevers. Major problems include: severe pneumonia, seizures, ear infections, sinus problems and brain damage. The measles vaccine, as a single immunization, is no longer available in the US. It is available only in the combination products measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine and measles-mumps-rubella-varicella (MMRV) vaccine.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
How do hyaluronic acid injections help treat arthritis?
Dr. Geraldine M. Navarro, MDDr. Geraldine M. Navarro, MD
Side effects of hyaluronic acid injections for arthritis include: increased risk of pain infecti...
Can medicines be crushed?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
That depends. Some can, some cannot. Generally, if it is a standard medication, it *MAY* be able to ...
What are the Most Common Prescription Drugs That Cause Side Effects?