What is grepafloxacin?

Grepafloxacin is no longer available in the United States.

Grepafloxacin is a prescription medication that's used to treat adults with certain types of bacterial infections. It may be used to treat certain types of bronchitis, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and urethritis or cervicitis.

Grepafloxacin is a type of medication called a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. It works by killing bacteria that cause infections. Grepafloxacin comes as a tablet that may be taken with a full glass of water with or without food.

Grepafloxacin is the generic name for the active ingredient found in brand-name medications such as Raxar.

However, it should be noted that Raxar and other grepafloxacin products are no longer available in the United States. It was withdrawn from U.S. markets in 1999.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Beware of Frauds and the Damage They Can Do
Whether it’s the true story of Frank Abignale, Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) in Catch Me If You Can, or a male sexual enhancement product called XtraHRD—ini...
Why can't more beneficial substances be made into drugs?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
An abundance of naturally occurring substances with significant potential healing powers have not ye...
Will I gain weight if I stop taking prescription stimulants?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Weight gain is often a problem when people stop taking stimulants. If you're overweight or have ...
What's the Difference Between a Brand-Name Drug and a Generic Drug?