What is fenfluramine?

Fenfluramine is no longer available in the United States.

Fenfluramine, which has the brand name Pondimin, was a prescription-only appetite suppressant pill and controlled substance once used short-term in medically supervised weight loss plans. It became popular for weight loss during the 1990s in a combination with phentermine known popularly as “Fen Phen.” However, the Food and Drug Administration withdrew fenfluramine and a related drug, dexfenfluramine, from the US market in 1997 because of evidence that they cause heart valve damage. Fenfluramine was also linked to pulmonary hypertension, an incurable, sometime fatal high blood pressure of the lung arteries. Ask your doctor about safe, currently available options if you are seeking to lose weight.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
What are the most common prescription drugs that cause side effects?
Suzy  CohenSuzy Cohen
Common prescription drugs that cause side effects include acid-blockers, corticosteroids and bir...
Why can't more beneficial substances be made into drugs?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
An abundance of naturally occurring substances with significant potential healing powers have not ye...
What are the Most Common Prescription Drugs That Cause Side Effects?