What is Deconsal DM?

Deconsal DM is no longer available in the United States.

Deconsal DM, the drug combination of phenylephrine, pyrilamine and dextromethorphan, is a combination antihistamine, cough suppressant, and decongestant. Deconsal DM are chewable tablets that are used to treat the symptoms of sinus congestion, sinus pressure, runny nose, cough, and sneezing. The antihistamine portion blocks histamine from triggering the symptoms of watery eyes and sneezing. The decongestant helps keep the nasal passages clear, enhancing drainage that reduces congestion and pressure. The cough suppressant inhibits the cough reflex. Deconsal DM is available both by a prescription and over-the-counter.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
What is an international unit?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
An International Unit, or IU, is the amount of a certain substance that is required to produce a giv...
What are the different types of ligands?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
There are three different kinds of ligands or chemical messenger molecules. They are: neuropept...
What's the Difference Between a Brand-Name Drug and a Generic Drug?