What is chlordiazepoxide-clidinium bromide?

Chlordiazepoxide-clidinium bromide is no longer available in the United States.

The combination of chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide is the same as chlordiazepoxide-clidinium, and it is a medication known by the brand name Librax. It is used for peptic ulcer disease, irritable bowel disease and gastroenteritis. Chlordiazepoxide is a benzodiazepine (used for anxiety). Clidinium is an antispasmodic. The combination is used by people who have ulcers of the stomach, irritable bowel syndrome and intestinal inflammation. It is used by those who have these conditions in conjunction with stress and anxiety. Chlordiazepoxide produces a calming effect by acting on certain chemicals in the brain, and clidinium controls spasms that occur in the gastrointestinal tract, while reducing stomach acid secretion.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
Can I take Lyrica with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, you can. But make sure your doctor and pharmacist know all of your medicines you take and any h...
What should I know about the MDP Multidose Kit of Technetium Injection?
The MDP Multidose Kit of Technetium Injection should only be used by medical professionals in a diag...
What are the Most Common Prescription Drugs That Cause Side Effects?