What is an international unit?

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
An International Unit, or IU, is the amount of a certain substance that is required to produce a given effect. It is a way to standardize the amount of a given substance, such as a vitamin or mineral, without simply relying on weight.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...
Dr. Robin Miller, MD

If you've wondered what the term International Unit on vitamin bottles and other supplements means, watch this video. Dr. Robin Miller explains what it is and why it can vary from one type of supplement to another.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
What are the effects of prescription stimulants?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Stimulants boost alertness, attention, and energy. They also ward off sleep and suppress appetit...
What are the side effects of statin drugs?
John M. Kennedy, MDJohn M. Kennedy, MD
Side effects of statin drugs include muscle weakness and inflammation, as well as liver inflammation...
What Is an International Unit?
What Is an International Unit?