What is Accuzyme?

Accuzyme is no longer available in the United States.

Accuzyme is a brand name prescription ointment for improving healing by removing dead skin and pus from wounds. The enzymes in the ointment liquefy these parts of the wound so they can be removed easily with water. The generic name is papain-urea topical ointment, and other brand names are AllanEnzyme, Pap-Urea, Ethezyme 830, Etheyzme 650, Kovia, and Gladase. However, Accuzyme is no longer available. Accuzyme, along with all other unapproved papain topicals, have been discontinued by the order of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
What are cell receptor sites?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Every cell in your body has thousands of locations on its surface that serve as "mini" sense org...
How do hyaluronic acid injections help treat arthritis?
Dr. Geraldine M. Navarro, MDDr. Geraldine M. Navarro, MD
Side effects of hyaluronic acid injections for arthritis include: increased risk of pain infecti...
What's the Difference Between a Brand-Name Drug and a Generic Drug?