What does NRTI mean?

NRTI stands for Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors. It refers to a group of drugs that are active against Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV). This medicine taken as part of a HAART (Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy) treatment plan. NRTIs will slow the growth of HIV in the body of an infected person. The medicines that slow the growth of the virus do not protect an HIV positive person from spreading the virus. Talk with your doctor or healthcare provider about how you can live with HIV.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

5 Essential Facts About Generic Drugs
5 Essential Facts About Generic Drugs
Think of the name of an aspirin brand you know. If you thought “Bayer,” you’re probably not alone. But what about the store-brand aspirin that often s...
What drives the sale of statin drugs?
Joseph Saseen, PharmDJoseph Saseen, PharmD
Four statins are generically available (atorvastatin, pravastatin, simvastatin, rosuvastatin, lovast...
How do I know if Saxenda is right for me?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Saxenda is a newer type of weight loss drug. It is in a class of medications called glucagon-like pe...
What are the Most Common Prescription Drugs That Cause Side Effects?