What is butalbital compound with codeine?

Butalbital compound with codeine is no longer available in the United States.

Butalbital compound with codeine is a prescription narcotic pain reliever combining caffeine, codeine, butalbital, and aspirin. This medication comes in the form of a tablet and is taken to relieve pain from tension headaches. Each component drug in butalbital compound with codeine works differently to treat tension headaches: aspirin lowers the levels of pain-causing chemicals produced by your body; butalbital prevents muscle spasms that cause tension headaches; and caffeine helps your blood flow by letting your blood vessels expand. Brand names for butalbital compound with codeine include Fiorinal with Codeine and Fiortal with Codeine.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

When Good Meds Do Bad Things
When Good Meds Do Bad Things
Running back Jerome “The Bus” Bettis played in the NFL for 13 seasons (a Super Bowl win with the Steelers) and landed in the Hall of Fame—all done whi...
Can I take Neurontin with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, but check with your doctor or pharmacist on possible interactions. Generally, neurontin won't s...
Can I take Lyrica with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, you can. But make sure your doctor and pharmacist know all of your medicines you take and any h...
What are the Most Common Prescription Drugs That Cause Side Effects?