What are appetite suppressants?

Gretchen M. Bosacker, MD
Family Medicine
Appetite suppressants work by altering levels of certain chemicals in the brain, mainly serotonin. Watch family physician Gretchen Phillips, MD, discuss the warnings for these types of medications, and why it's key to communicate with your doctor. 

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

This Popular Marijuana Extract Might Treat Anxiety and Epilepsy
Cannabidiol (CBD), a component of the marijuana plant, has garnered some serious attention, which is no surprise given its supposed health benefits. P...
What are the different types of ligands?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
There are three different kinds of ligands or chemical messenger molecules. They are: neuropept...
How do I know if Saxenda is right for me?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Saxenda is a newer type of weight loss drug. It is in a class of medications called glucagon-like pe...
What's the Difference Between a Brand-Name Drug and a Generic Drug?