What is the MDP Multidose Kit of Technetium Injection?

The MDP Multidose Kit of Technetium Injection is a set of 10 vials each containing medronic acid, stannous chloride and ascorbic acid. The vials are added to oxidant-free sodium pertechnetate Tc99m injection to create a substance that is used intravenously with bone imaging scans to help diagnose areas in the bones where osteogenesis is present or may have changed. Osteogenesis is also known as brittle bone disease. The mixture is partially absorbed in the bones, enabling doctors to see areas of change or damage when someone has a bone scan. The content of the vials should not be given to someone before mixing with sodium pertechnetate Tc99m injection, and it does not have radioactive properties until mixed. The prescription MDP kits should only be handled by a medical professional who has been specially trained to deal with radiopharmaceuticals due to the radioactive properties.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
What are the side effects of statin drugs?
John M. Kennedy, MDJohn M. Kennedy, MD
Side effects of statin drugs include muscle weakness and inflammation, as well as liver inflammation...
How do cholesterol test strips work?
Cholesterol test strips are used to measure the cholesterol level in blood to provide cholesterol mo...
What Is an International Unit?
What Is an International Unit?