Is Qsymia safe?

Women should not become pregnant while taking Qsymia because of an increased risk of birth defects, such as a cleft lip or cleft palate. It is still unknown if Qsymia is safe for people with cardiovascular disease, as it can increase heart rate; studies are planned. People with diabetes must be followed closely as weight is lost to ensure their blood sugar does not drop too much. Qsymia may cause mood changes or cognitive impairment.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

When Good Meds Do Bad Things
When Good Meds Do Bad Things
Running back Jerome “The Bus” Bettis played in the NFL for 13 seasons (a Super Bowl win with the Steelers) and landed in the Hall of Fame—all done whi...
Is generic medication as effective as brand name medication?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates pharmaceutical manufacturers closely and, if a comp...
How do I know if Saxenda is right for me?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Saxenda is a newer type of weight loss drug. It is in a class of medications called glucagon-like pe...
What are the Most Common Prescription Drugs That Cause Side Effects?