Is there a generic version of Yervoy?

Because Yervoy (ipilimumab) is a new and unique drug for treating advanced melanoma, there are no generic versions currently available. Yervoy, which treats advanced melanoma, uses a technology known as monoclonal antibodies, which target very specific parts of the cancer cells. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) rewards companies that create a new type of medicine like this by giving them the ability to sell the drug without generic competition for many years.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
What is Stribild?
Stribild is one of the preferred drug regimens for people who have not yet taken drugs to treat HIV....
What are appetite suppressants?
Gretchen M. Bosacker, MDGretchen M. Bosacker, MD
Appetite suppressants work by altering levels of certain chemicals in the brain, mainly serotonin. W...
What Is an International Unit?
What Is an International Unit?