How does Xalkori work to treat lung cancer?

Xalkori (crizotinib) works by blocking proteins called kinases, which prevents the spread and growth of cancerous cells. The particular target of Xalkori is kinases produced by a specific gene called anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK); a mutation on that gene encourages cancer development. Your doctor will test to see if you have an ALK mutation. If you don't have it, Xalkori will not be prescribed.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Beware of Frauds and the Damage They Can Do
Whether it’s the true story of Frank Abignale, Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) in Catch Me If You Can, or a male sexual enhancement product called XtraHRD—ini...
Can I take pain medicines with Procardia to help with pain?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes. But be sure to clear this with your doctor so that he/she can monitor you for blood pressure ch...
What should I know about Stribild before taking it?
Your doctor will need to do blood and urine tests before starting treatment. You will need to be tes...
What Is an International Unit?
What Is an International Unit?