How does a doctor decide which type of antidepressant to prescribe?

There are no tests to determine which type of antidepressant a doctor should prescribe for a patient with depression. In this video, Tarique Perera, MD, a psychiatrist with Contemporary Care of Connecticut, explains how antidepessants are chosen.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Ask the Doctors: How to Choose the Right Medications—For You and Your Pet
Q: I need to change birth control pills because the one I’m taking is giving me headaches. What’s the best way to find a new pill and do I need a mont...
What are the side effects of the MDP Multidose Kit of Technetium Injection?
MDP Multidose Kit of Technetium Injection, when used with sodium pertechnetate Tc99m injection, has ...
What are appetite suppressants?
Gretchen M. Bosacker, MDGretchen M. Bosacker, MD
Appetite suppressants work by altering levels of certain chemicals in the brain, mainly serotonin. W...
What Is an International Unit?
What Is an International Unit?