Can I take Qsymia if I am pregnant?

If you are pregnant, you should not take the prescription weight-loss drug Qsymia (phentermine and topiramate), because it can cause serious birth defects in a developing fetus, such as a cleft lip or cleft palate. Because of this, you should have a pregnancy test before you start to take Qsymia and have another one every month you're on it. You should use an effective form of birth control when taking Qsymia.

If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, talk to your doctor before taking Qsymia. If you are taking Qsymia and become pregnant, call your doctor.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Watch Out for Bad Medication Chemistry
Watch Out for Bad Medication Chemistry
Babe Ruth on team chemistry: “The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world...
Can I take pain medicines with Procardia to help with pain?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes. But be sure to clear this with your doctor so that he/she can monitor you for blood pressure ch...
What is the MDP Multidose Kit of Technetium Injection?
The MDP Multidose Kit of Technetium Injection is a set of 10 vials each containing medronic acid, st...
What Is an International Unit?
What Is an International Unit?