What should I do if my pet wants to sleep in my bed?

If your pet wants to sleep in your bed, keep these things in mind:
  • Everyone has a different tolerance level for pets in the bedroom, so both bed partners must agree on who gets to sleep where. If pets don’t disturb anyone’s sleep, then there’s usually no harm.
  • Understand that once you allow pets to share your bed, it becomes difficult to curb or stop the habit. To stop the habit, you’ll have to endure some heart-wrenching complaints from Fido or Fluffy until they learn that your bedroom is off limits.
  • Make sure that your intimacy needs do not suffer from sharing your bed with pets. Remember the bed is for both sleep and sex; do not trade one for the other.
  • Have your allergies checked. Over time it’s quite easy to develop allergies to pets and not realize it. If you wake with a stuffy nose every day, it could be time to find Fido or Fluffy its own space.
  • Review the habits of your beloved pet to make sure they're compatible with yours: a snoring bulldog can be a bigger problem than you might think.

Continue Learning about Health Benefits of Pet Ownership

Pooches for Pain Relief
Pooches for Pain Relief
Underdog, the animated super-beagle who saves lives, may be fictional, but a real-life dog can actually rescue you from painful situations...
How can I get rid of bad pet habits?
Pet owners can go crazy with chewing and shedding pets. Watch as Dr. Oz and vet Dr. Marty Becker dis...
11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid
11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid
Antifreeze, candles and other common cold-weather must-haves may be putting your furry friends at risk.
How Your Dog Keeps You Young
How Your Dog Keeps You Young