What should I do if my pet wants to sleep in my bed?

If your pet wants to sleep in your bed, keep these things in mind:
  • Everyone has a different tolerance level for pets in the bedroom, so both bed partners must agree on who gets to sleep where. If pets don’t disturb anyone’s sleep, then there’s usually no harm.
  • Understand that once you allow pets to share your bed, it becomes difficult to curb or stop the habit. To stop the habit, you’ll have to endure some heart-wrenching complaints from Fido or Fluffy until they learn that your bedroom is off limits.
  • Make sure that your intimacy needs do not suffer from sharing your bed with pets. Remember the bed is for both sleep and sex; do not trade one for the other.
  • Have your allergies checked. Over time it’s quite easy to develop allergies to pets and not realize it. If you wake with a stuffy nose every day, it could be time to find Fido or Fluffy its own space.
  • Review the habits of your beloved pet to make sure they're compatible with yours: a snoring bulldog can be a bigger problem than you might think.

Continue Learning about Health Benefits of Pet Ownership

Why Your Dog Shouldn’t Sleep in Your Bed
President Kennedy’s family had several dogs that cuddled with Caroline and John-John (as well as a beer-swilling rabbit that was a gift from a magicia...
How can sleeping with my pet be harmful to my health?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Allowing your cat or dog to sleep next to you may be harmful to more than just your sleep. Letting y...
11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid
11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid
Antifreeze, candles and other common cold-weather must-haves may be putting your furry friends at risk.
How Your Dog Keeps You Young
How Your Dog Keeps You Young