What are the two levels of consciousness?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology

Whatever your particular perspective, what can generally be said is that consciousness, for all its mystery, operates at two levels: awareness and unconscious (or subconscious). You have a mind/brain that also functions underneath what you are consciously aware of thinking, perceiving, emoting, and sensing. This is your subconscious, the submerged mind/brain level, and it is important.

There’s a lot going on in your head of which you aren’t consciously aware. Some of it is straightforward body regulation, like the control of your heartbeat. Some of it, like old, repressed memories and emotional pain, is not. Taken together, your conscious cognitive awareness and unconscious submerged undertow have a lot to do with how you feel, especially as they relate to and are influenced by your emotions.

Still Hurting? FIND HEALTH! Discover What's Behind Your SYMPTOMS (That Doctors Can't Explain)

Still Hurting? FIND HEALTH! presents a new model of disease, which empowers readers suffering with pain, symptoms (e.g., fatigue), and symptom syndromes (e.g., irritable bowel, fibromyalgia, chronic...

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Does finding my true self make me good?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
It feels remarkable when petty anger can be transformed to so noblea feeling as compassion. The true...
Is it wrong if I crave admiration by being nice?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
Sure, the downside of being action central at work is exhaustion, feeling overwhelmed, and boosting ...
Why Does Death Scare Us?
Why Does Death Scare Us?