What are strengths associated with transcendence in positive psychology?

Ronald Siegel
In positive psychology, the virtue of transcendence is associated with strengths of meaning that connect you with the larger world and provide meaning. Strengths associated with transcendence include:
  • Appreciation of beauty: Noticing and valuing beauty, excellence, and skill expressed in nature, performance, various professions, and everyday experience.
  • Spirituality: Holding beliefs about the meaning of life and its higher purpose. Knowing where you fit within the larger scheme of life, and taking comfort and direction from that knowledge.
  • Gratitude: Being aware of and thankful for the good things that happen. Taking time to express thanks.
  • Hope: Believing that the future can be good and working to bring it about. Being optimistic.
  • Humor: Liking to laugh or see the light side of life. Being playful. Bringing smiles to other people.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
What is triangulation and why should I try my damdest to avoid it?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
This is probably a new strategy for you. You may not even know what it means. Triangulation refers t...
What are the characteristics of a Type C personality?
Sudeepta Varma, MDSudeepta Varma, MD
Type C personalities tend to be very accommodating, passive and bookish; they avoid conflict, bottle...
How Can I Better Understand That Death Is Essential to Life?