What are strengths associated with courage in positive psychology?

Ronald Siegel
In positive psychology, the virtue of courage is associated with strengths of will that help you accomplish goals in the face of fear and internal or external obstacles. Strengths associated with courage include:
  • Integrity: Speaking the truth, acting sincerely, and presenting yourself in an authentic way (without pretense). Taking responsibility for your feelings and actions.
  • Bravery: Speaking and acting for what you believe despite opposition. Not shrinking from challenges (physical or not), difficulties, threats, or pain.
  • Persistence: Finishing what you start even in the face of resistance. Displaying perseverance and industriousness.
  • Vitality: Entering life fully, wholeheartedly, with enthusiasm and energy.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Can my personality increase my risk of heart disease?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
If your demeanor is more like the Grinch or Mr. Scrooge than Mary Poppins, you're more likely to...
What is extreme perfectionism?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
When perfectionism goes too far, it is considered extreme, or “neurotic,” according to Canadian ...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?