What is perfectionism?

Alice Domar
Canadian researchers Gordon L. Flett and Paul L. Hewitt wrote the book on perfectionism, so to speak. (Their textbook on the topic is called Perfectionism: Theory, Research, and Treatment.) They consider “normal” perfectionism as having a goal of flawlessness: “Normal perfectionism is defined as striving for reasonable and realistic standards that leads to a sense of self-satisfaction and enhanced self-esteem.”
Be Happy Without Being Perfect: How to Worry Less and Enjoy Life More

Do you have trouble going to bed at night when there’s a mess in the kitchen? Do you think you would be happier if only you could lose weight, be a better parent, work smarter, reduce stress,...

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How do I make choices without getting trapped?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Everyone knows how to choose; few know how to let go. It's only by letting go of each experience tha...
How can I learn to be self-compassionate?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
While some people come by self-compassion naturally, others have to learn it. Luckily, it is a l...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?