What is narcissism?

Michele Borba
Researchers define narcissism as “self-centered, arrogant, and entitled.” It’s not just attention-getting or wanting to be liked, but a “pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration -- an exaggerated sense of self-importance where the person believes they are special and require excessive admiration from others.”

The phrase, “so-and so is such a narcissist,” is often used in our culture and generally means just a self-centered person. But there is a clear difference when narcissism rises to the level of being a true psychological problem. The danger is too hefty a dose of narcissism and an unhealthy overriding belief and exaggerated view that “I’m better than all” can turn into a personality disorder robbing a person’s psychological and emotional well-being, and there are two big dangers.

First, the narcissist generally has an inability to form healthy, long-term relationships because narcissists are so focused on themselves.

Second is that narcissism diminishes and even shuts down a person’s capacity to empathize or feel for others.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
What is the problem with Enneagram type two personalities?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Even when they're not in a reactionary mode, Twos can be a little suffocating; they are the original...
What are people with Enneagram type four personalities like?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Fours don't blend, they stand out. And they stand out with flair. They're the ones wearing the crush...
How Can I Better Understand That Death Is Essential to Life?