What is controlling behavior and how do I recognize it?

Erin Olivo, PhD
Behavior can be controlling when we simply can't resist the urge to do something; often a loved one is the best person to point out this behavior. In this video, psychologist Erin Olivo, PhD, explains how you can recognize controlling behavior.
Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Control is forcing events and people into your way of doing things. Control is the great mask of insecurity. People who use this behavior are deathly afraid of letting others be who they are, so the controller is constantly making demands that keep others off balance. The underlying idea is "If they keep paying attention to me, they won't run away." When you find yourself making excuses for yourself and blaming others, or when you feel inside that no one is showing you enough gratitude or appreciation, the fault is not with them -- you are exhibiting a need to control. The external signs of this behavior come from those you are trying to control: They are tense and resistant; they complain of not being listened to; they call you a perfectionist or a demanding boss.

Control begins to end when you admit that your way isn't automatically the right way. You can tune in to your need for control by catching yourself complaining, blaming, or insisting that no one is right but you, and coming up with one excuse after another to prove that you are without blame yourself. Once you stop controlling them, the people around you begin to breathe easy. They relax and laugh. They feel free to be who they are without looking to you for approval.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Does my mental state impact my health?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Total wellness is not just about your body. Your mental state has as much impact on your health as a...
How do I know if I am a perfectionist?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
If you’re a perfectionist - and my hunch is that most of you sport this label - you probably know it...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?