What are the benefits of being assertive?

Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry
Asserting yourself helps in relationships because it shows the other person that you have respect for him, as well as for yourself. It is a way for you to effectively maintain limits you set for yourself, as well as to negotiate conflicts without damaging relationships. Communicating assertively also leads to improved self-esteem, as you learn to leave old, ineffective patterns of communication behind and begin to interact with others in a healthy way that will be more likely to meet your needs.

Apart from relationships, however, asserting yourself is simply a way of being more effective in the way you communicate, as you express yourself clearly and concisely. So whether you're interacting with a sales clerk at a store, your psychiatrist or therapist, your partner, a close friend, or a coworker, assertiveness will help you say what you want to say, be understood, and get what you want out of the interaction.
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder: Using DBT to Regain Control of Your Emotions and Your Life (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook)

Even if you've just been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, it's likely that you've been living with it for a long time. You've probably already developed your own ways of coping with recurring...

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How can I define my values?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Your behavior is the outside representation of what you value. If you wonder about what you valu...
Are extroverts happier than introverts?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Extroverts have been shown to have higher levels of happiness, but researchers say they might just h...
How Can I Better Understand That Death Is Essential to Life?