What are causes of perfectionism?

Alice Domar
Are perfectionists made or born? Probably both. Obsessive-compulsive disorder has a genetic component, and although perfectionism differs from OCD, there may be a genetic connection. I think behavior modeling plays a huge part in passing along perfectionist habits and beliefs. Perfectionist parents tend to raise perfectionist children.

Many women grew up using perfection to make up for an imperfect sibling. I was surprised at how many of the women we spoke to told stories of older siblings who had been born with disabilities, had died, or had disappointed their parents in some way. Whether or not their parents exerted overt pressure on them, these women felt they had to carry the torch that their older siblings could not or would not carry. Growing up, these women felt pressured to be twice as successful in school, in their careers, with marriage, and in producing grandchildren
Be Happy Without Being Perfect: How to Worry Less and Enjoy Life More

Do you have trouble going to bed at night when there’s a mess in the kitchen? Do you think you would be happier if only you could lose weight, be a better parent, work smarter, reduce stress,...

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
What is respect?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Respect is an attitude. It is an experience of honor, esteem, consideration, and caring.Respect ...
How does thought relate to my soul's awareness?
William StillmanWilliam Stillman
As our higher-self counterpart, our soul is shaped and enhanced by all that we do and say. The more ...
Why Does Death Scare Us?
Why Does Death Scare Us?