What is the link between suffering and unreality?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
There is a link between suffering and unreality. The way we forgetthe peace and clarity of "I am" can be broken down into fiveaspects. In Sanskrit these are called the five kleshas, the rootcauses of every form of suffering.
  1. Not knowing what is real
  2. Grasping and clinging to the unreal
  3. Being afraid of the unreal and recoiling from it
  4. Identifying with an imaginary self
  5. Fear of death
The five kleshas are arranged in a cascade. Once you stop knowingwhat is real (first klesha), the others fall into placeautomatically. This means that for most people only the end of theline — fear of death — is a conscious experience.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How does the mind protect itself?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
The mind is used to protecting itself from threats by overlooking and denying them. When the stress ...
How does my soul see an experience?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Your soul sees every experience through new eyes. It isn't the things around you that have become ti...
Why Does Death Scare Us?
Why Does Death Scare Us?