Where is the silent observer located?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
There is no person inside your head, only a swirl of water, salt, sugar, and a handful of other chemicals like potassium and sodium. This whirlpool of a brain is always flowing, and thus every experience is swept along in currents and eddies as swiftly as a mountain stream. So, where is the silent observer located if not in my brain? Neurologists have found locations for all kinds of mental states. No matter what a person is experiencing -- depression, elation, creativity, hallucination, amnesia, paralysis, sexual longing, or anything else -- the brain displays a signature pattern of activity scattered across various locations. Yet there is no location or pattern for the person having these experiences. The person could be nowhere, at least nowhere that science will ever spot.

This is a cause for incredible excitement because, if the real you isn't inside your head, you have been set free, like awareness itself. This freedom is limitless. You can create anything because you are in every atom of creation. Wherever your awareness wants to go, matter must follow. You do come first after all and the universe second.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Will withdrawing from life and its disturbances bring me peace?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
One looks around and notices many spiritually sincere people whodon't look happy. In some cases thei...
How can my inner voice be tamed?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
The answer is freedom, yet in a most peculiar way: You must free yourself from decisions. The voice ...
Why Does Death Scare Us?
Why Does Death Scare Us?