How should I manage my relationships to reduce suffering?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
There are only three kinds of people in your life: Those who leave you alone, those who help you and those who hurt you.

People who leave you alone are dealing with your suffering as a nuisance or an inconvenience -- they prefer to keep their distance in order to feel better about themselves. People who help you have the strength and awareness to do more with your suffering than you are able to do by yourself. Those who hurt you want the situation to stay the same because they do not have your well-being at heart. Honestly count how many people in each category you have in your life. This isn't the same as counting friends and loving family members. Assess others solely as they relate to your difficulties.

Having made a realistic count, take the following attitude:
  • I will no longer bring my problems to anyone who wants to leave me alone. It's not good for them or for me. They don't want to help, so I will not ask them to help me.
  • I will share my problems with those who want to help me. I will not reject genuine offers of assistance out of pride, insecurity or doubt. I will ask these people to join me in my healing and make them a bigger part of my life. 
  • I will put a distance between myself and those who want to hurt me. I do not have to confront them, guilt-trip them, or make them the cause of my self-pity. But I cannot afford to absorb their toxic effect on me, and if that means keeping my distance, I will.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
What is the problem with Enneagram type three personalities?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Threes shine. Charm leaks from their pores. It's hard to resist a confident, energetic, attractive T...
What does it mean to embrace all?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
This affirmation is about uniting two realities. There is a path toGod that relies solely on the min...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?