Why are nice girls bad at taking compliments and credit?

Karen R Koenig
This is something one would think you’d want to do automatically. Unfortunately, you are much better at believing that you haven’t done enough (and feeling guilt, shame, etc.) than believing that you’ve done a super job and feeling happy about it. Nice girls are terrible at taking compliments and credit. They’re full of “aw gosh” and “who, me?” Believe it or not, accepting praise is part of good self-care. You’re not going to get a swelled head merely because you enjoy a “thank you” for a job well done; you’re not going to become a braggart because you crow a bit. It’s not an attractive quality for you always to be putting yourself down. More than that, you need to glory in the glorious feelings so you can handle the times you don’t get or deserve them. At the risk of sounding redundant, it’s good to have good feelings.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How do I prepare the way for insight to come in?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
When it is fully developed, your awareness will respond as easilyand quickly as you now respond from...
Will people stop liking me if I speak my mind, being a nice girl?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
I don’t know. You tell me what will happen. Or, rather, what you fear will happen. Will some catastr...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?