What is the link between suffering and clinging?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Sanskrit's second klesha says that a person suffers because of clinging, which means clinging to anything at all. Holding on to something is a way of showing you are afraid it will be taken fromyou.

For example, people feel violated when a purse snatcher runs away with a purse, or if they come home to find their house has been broken into. These violations don't matter because of what has been taken – these things can be replaced – and yet the sense ofpersonal injury often persists for months or years. Having a purse snatched can even make you lose your sense of personal safety entirely, because someone has stripped you of the illusion that you were untouchable.

America's national paroxysm after the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center continues to play out this drama of "us" versus "them" on a mass scale. The sense of American invulnerability was exposed as an illusion. Yet at bottom this wasn't a nation's problem. It was an individual problem felt on a huge scale.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How do I break through the illusion of helplessness?
Sherrie Campbell, PhDSherrie Campbell, PhD
How we perceive our feelings of helplessness will be a major factor in overcoming it. When we move w...
Does just seeing myself as creator of my reality make it true?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
A skeptic will protest that just seeing yourself as the creator of your reality doesn't mean you are...
Why Does Death Scare Us?
Why Does Death Scare Us?