How do perfectionists react to becoming mothers?

Alice Domar
A new mother with perfectionist tendencies expects herself to be a perfect mother from the moment her baby is born. She assumes that she should know by instinct how to breastfeed and care for her baby. She feels guilty if she doesn’t bond with her baby right away (many women don’t), or if her baby is unusually fussy, she blames herself and her mothering skills. Perfectionist mothers hold fast to their image of what an “ideal mother” should be; whenever they fail to uphold that image, they feel angry and disappointed.
Be Happy Without Being Perfect: How to Worry Less and Enjoy Life More

Do you have trouble going to bed at night when there’s a mess in the kitchen? Do you think you would be happier if only you could lose weight, be a better parent, work smarter, reduce stress,...

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Did my upbringing affect the way I behave at my work?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
So why can’t you help saying yes at work or shake behavior that consistently gets you into trouble b...
Why are some people more empathetic than others?
In the same way we know people with extremist personalities, we all know people at both ends of the ...
Why Does Death Scare Us?
Why Does Death Scare Us?