How can I say what I really mean?

Karen R Koenig

To say what you really mean, you should do as follows:

• Think long and hard before responding to requests and demands.
  • Stop feeling guilty when you say no, or ride out the guilt.
  • Risk not getting approval if you need to confront or challenge someone.
  • Recognize that it’s not your job to make everyone else feel better.
  • Acknowledge that you’re allowed to be imperfect and make mistakes.
  • Let people know in an appropriate way, in the moment or after the fact, when they’ve hurt you.
  • Keep track of what you’re feeling so that you can speak the truth about what’s going on inside you.
  • Give yourself time to understand what you really think, before putting emotions into words.
  • Learn to tolerate feeling uncomfortable when you’ve been honest and direct and someone is upset (because nine out of ten times, he or she will get over it).
  • Realize that it’s far better to feel good about yourself for being honest than bad about yourself for lying to avoid conflict.
  • Understand that self-trust develops from decisions that make you proud.
  • Recognize that no one (except sadists) enjoys hurting someone’s feelings but that healthy people do it to take care of themselves.
  • Recognize that you have every right to say what is on your mind in an appropriate, timely manner no matter what anyone tells you.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Is it wrong if I crave admiration by being nice?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
Sure, the downside of being action central at work is exhaustion, feeling overwhelmed, and boosting ...
How does my body relate to transformation?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Your body, which is bonding millions of molecules every second, depends on transformation. Breathing...
How Can I Better Understand That Death Is Essential to Life?