How can I define my values?

Lynne Kenney
Your behavior is the outside representation of what you value. If you wonder about what you value, look at your daily behavior and actions. Do you get up in the morning and do yoga? Do you enjoy making breakfast and eating as a family before you start your day? Do you have a family game night? Do you attend services every week? All of these activities reflect what you care about, what matters to you. These reflect what you value. If you work hard, you value hard work; if you play hard, you value play. Maybe both values apply, or entirely different ones.

Simply look at what you do and how you live. Talk with your partner about what he or she values; ask your friends what they value. Notice how people exhibit their own values in the world around you. You might find yourself starting to take notes or making lists. That can be very helpful.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How can I use positive psychology to deal with difficult situations?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
There is intriguing preliminary evidence that positive psychology techniques, in addition to pre...
How do I learn to take risks in life?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
This probably comes as no surprise, but nice girls aren’t big risk takers. You like to play things s...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?