How can I avoid making assumptions?

When you catch yourself making assumptions, do this:
  • Say, "Stop it!" Every time you catch yourself thinking you know what someone else is thinking, tell yourself to stop.
  • Think positively. Think of how you may be misreading the situation. Try to see other sides of the story rather than focusing on what you "think" you know.
  • Realize that not everyone thinks as you do. What you think may be quite different from reality. Seek out the facts before you react.
  • Ask yourself, "Am I jumping to conclusions?" You may not have all the information you need to make a decision. Do you react to information you've received from others rather than the person you're in conflict with?
  • Ask for the truth. Go directly to the person and ask what's going on. What's the worst thing that will happen?
The Anger Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anger and Frustration (Instant Help)

Do you often find yourself in trouble because of anger? Do you react to situations and later regret how you behaved? Does your anger cause problems with other people? Are you tired of letting anger...

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How does my soul see an experience?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Your soul sees every experience through new eyes. It isn't the things around you that have become ti...
What are the two faces of love?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Think about the nature of love today. Love has two faces: personaland impersonal. Personal love is f...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?